Monday, October 30, 2006

Messy Thoughts and Happenings

Met up with RJ in Narita on last Friday. What we chatted-- whether to leave the company or not; how lucky RJ was to get hit on by 5 guys in a day in NY; very nice of the scheduler to put us together for brush-up AND the language improvement courses in November; how we detest our job title sometimes.

True... You can just feel it-- Some guys will just put an invisible label on me once they hear what I'm working as. No thanks for the sticker.

Arrived at New York and did my usual round of shopping at 5th Avenue. A stretch of it was actually closed down for the shooting of a movie by Will Smith-- "I Am Legend". And yes, I did see him in person.



Oh, the skating rink at Rock Ctr is ready.



Feel so tiny...


Then it's back to the hotel to drop off my stuff and grab lunch/dinner. Finally found a Chinese restaurant in New York that serves quality Mapo Tofu. At least it's not sweet like the Japanese ones. But... the packaging on Sunday is different from Saturday's (even though both are from the Lunch Specials menu). The portion from Sunday is like half of Saturdays...


Still, yummy.

Back to Japan.

Was changing trains at a station when a caucasian lady came up to me and asked if a train goes to someplace. Do I look so much like a Japanese now?? Told her that I'm not sure but could try our luck since I'm going the same direction too. Chatted for like the rest of the journey... I can just feel the other Japanese passengers' eyes on us. They might be thinking--

-- Is that black-hair girl one of us?? If yes, woah, her English is really good.
-- Are those 2 friends??
-- Why can't they just shut up?!

...

Said good bye to her at my stop and on with my shopping adventure. Happy happy happy.

Last stop was at Akihabara where I had to get something for my brother. FYI-- he's doing his own little business which involves those remote helicopter and cars and all that. Whatever.. I'm totally clueless. Anyway, he got the list of items for me to get from a store there. I read the email from which the Japanese guy gave him the address of the store. The emails were generally good for a Nihonjin's standards. Ahem.

But still, you never know...

Was in the area and I was kinda lazy to open up my map. Asked random people on the streets about the location. Weird. They haven't heard of the building... After a long walk down the street, I gave up and just poked into a Sake store to ask the lady boss.

Aha! The guy spelt the building's name wrongly-- it's Kairaku instead of KIRAKU...

"Eeeeh?! Kairaku biru desuka?? Aa. Wakarimashita. Doumo!!"

...
.......

Long story short-- finally back at Narita and it's about 4p.m. Carried all my shopping stuff very ungracefully to the airport McDonalds and ordered some takeouts. And there, I chatted up with someone again. Yes! Never underestimate my chatting skills. Talked to a lady who's from Honolulu, who's waiting for her Big Mac, and even advised her on what's good at the airport DutyFree.

~Pat on shoulder for a job well done~

Exhausted by the time I got back to the hotel room. Dumped the stuff, munched my Mac, took a long shower, and then, a perfect end to the day--



Back in Singapore, back to my coolout place-- Esplanade.


Nothing fights the view from the roof terrace. (If you can stand the heat...)


Durian hotel.


Durian tree.

One final picture of me with long hair before my haircut.


Can't help but post this one.


Nice ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home